Camfed is a fast-paced and award-winning charitable organisation based in Cambridge. It is dedicated to fighting poverty and HIV/AIDS in ruralAfricaby educating girls and encouraging women to become leaders of change. Since 1993, more than 3.9 million children in impoverished areas of Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania, Ghana and Malawi have benefited from our innovative educational programmes.
This internship is a highly sought-after opportunity to begin your career in finance, in a forward-thinking and dynamic International Development organisation. During this unpaid internship you will gain exposure to all aspects of the organisation globally, while based in the Head Office in Cambridge. Those who successfully complete the three-month unpaid internship are offered a three-month period of paid employment, which may lead to further opportunities.
Tasks: As a member of the UK finance team you will be part of the global finance team working across 5 countries in Africa and the USA with responsibility for financial planning, financial accounting, analysis and reporting. Specific areas of work include the following:
- Expenditure management – administration of office requests for payments ensuring their completeness and that they are appropriately authorised before processing; creating Purchase Invoices in finance system, sending remittance advices to suppliers
- Income administration – review of bank statements, preparation of income reports for donations received
- Production of cash position for the UK office
- Review of documentation to support donor reports.
- Preparation of analysis to review expenditure in overseas offices
- Submission of finance deliverables to internal audit
- Other areas of finance including:
- Budget and forecast monitoring
- Monthly and quarterly reporting
- Cash flow monitoring
- Support the internal audit function
- Support the preparation for and during the annual audit
- Support the development of bids / grant application budgets
- Creative and innovative ideas to enhance and improve Camfed’s financial management processes and systems
- Routine administrative tasks including filing, banking and handling of finance correspondence.
Skills/Personal Qualities required:
- Good quantitative degree
- Excellent numeracy and financial awareness and above average excel skills
- Good organisational skills, creative thinking and excellent written and oral communication skills
- Flexible, self-motivated and hard-working individual who will work well in a dynamic and creative team in a fast-moving environment
- Interest in international development desirable
- Interest in girls’ education globally desirable
- Eligible to work in the UK
Please send your covering letter and CV as soon as possible to [email protected] and reference ‘Finance and Accounting Internship’.
Closing Date: 9am on Wednesday 30th August 2017
Download Full Job Description