Camfed has recently secured significant new investment from DFID, which will enable the expansion of our programmes to support girls’ progression through school and their transition to a secure adulthood in Ghana, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe. The Senior Development Manager will play a pivotal role in maximising the value of this investment, working closely with the CEO and Directors. The Senior Development Manager may also lead on other key statutory partnerships as required.
- Manage Camfed’s relationship across specific key grants with DFID, in collaboration with colleagues internationally and working closely with the Head of Development.
- Lead on the development of proposals for new statutory investment, working closely with the Head of Development and Executive Team as relevant.
- Project-manage Camfed’s reporting requirements for a specific portfolio of grants, ensuring advance planning, donor compliance, effective communication, and engagement of all relevant team members in the UK and internationally.
- Liaise with senior management colleagues in sub-Saharan Africa to support effective planning and implementation of specific key grants.
- Collaborate with National Directors in sub-Saharan Africa and across functions to record and communicate achievements, learning and best practice in relation to Camfed’s programmes funded by DFID’s Girls’ Education Challenge.
- Provide regular updates to Camfed’s CEO and Executive Team on the progress of specific key grants.
- Manage and coach 1-2 direct line reports.
- The role is located in Cambridge, UK, and may entail travel to Africa for up to 6 weeks per year over a series of short trips (1-2 weeks in length).
- The Senior Development Manager will report in to the Head of Development.
The Senior Development Manager will be passionate about transforming opportunities for girls and young women in sub-Saharan Africa. S/he will have good political awareness and relationship-building skills, project management expertise, strong financial management and reporting skills; excellent team-working skills; and an outstanding ability to communicate effectively and accurately with partners, in line with Camfed’s ethos of transparency and accountability. S/he will share Camfed’s core values and bring high levels of energy, proactivity and commitment to the role.
- Commitment and passion for Camfed’s values, mission and vision.
- Outstanding project management skills, including across functions and geographies
- Excellent relationship management skills, strategic awareness, diplomacy, and understanding of risk factors.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including report writing and editing.
- Good financial understanding, analytical ability and experience of interpreting complex budgets.
- Ability to learn fast and manage competing priorities.
- Excellent team-working skills, including the capacity to work collaboratively to meet team as well as individual goals and deadlines, and to mentor junior members of staff
- Keen eye for detail.
- Proactive, positive approach and high degree of empathy.
- Ability to travel (up to 6 weeks/year).
- Eligibility to work in the UK.
- Familiarity with DFID and other statutory funders.
- Experience of reporting to a range of partners.
- Knowledge of international development issues, including gender and education.
- Experience or knowledge of the countries where Camfed works.
To apply for this position please send your CV and covering letter to [email protected] by 9am on 29th August 2017 and reference ‘Senior Development Manager’.
Download Full Job Description